The Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW) is proud to be the regional trade association representing restaurants and the foodservice industry in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area. Established in 1920, RAMW is an advocate, resource, and community for its members.
The Association works to promote and sustain the growth and development of a highly respected industry while providing its members legislative and regulatory representation, marketing and small business support, programming, workforce development and education, and events. RAMW serves its members with professionalism and integrity, and provides them the training, education and support they need to grow a successful business.
RAMW is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to lead communication strategy and support all departments of the Association. The Manager will drive and execute visual and written communications for a variety of internal programming, marketing campaigns, websites, and special event materials. The Communications Manager will collaborate closely with Public/Government Affairs in developing and executing comprehensive strategies to support the restaurant industry, advance and frame our public affairs priorities and further the organization's overall strategy.
Ideal candidates have a minimum of 5 years of experience with highly visible engagement with media in television, print, and digital outlets, strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including the ability to present concepts verbally, and have strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
This position will manage content and creation of print and digital advertising, email marketing, social media engagement tools, newsletters, special projects, and more. Interest in or knowledge of DC food scene is a plus, but not required.
This position requires four days in-person at our Downtown Washington, DC office and one day with hybrid flexibility.
- Interface and collaborate with all team members to understand core programming and public affairs issues to be able to inform, drive and execute all external communications.
- Maintain a communications calendar, based on legislative activity, news events, and policy priorities, to inform communications across the Association.
- Produce advocacy communications collateral such as press releases, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, video/audio content, and key advocacy messages.
- Produce membership and sponsorship collateral such as brochures, legislative briefings, web and blog content, event scripts, and Board briefings.
- Lead and/or manage public relations for the Association. Build a media contact list and develop and maintain relationships with media representatives, working to pitch story ideas and generate media coverage for activities across RAMW programming and public affairs issues.
- Oversee creation of digital and print collateral for core program campaigns, events, and other association initiatives with external designers.
- Prepares e-newsletters and mass emails for distribution through email marketing platform.
- Creates and coordinates marketing campaigns and writes social media content for core programming and other association initiatives ensuring that the brand message is consistent and best practices are being used.
- Analyzes digital data to draw key recommendations around social media optimization and monitor social media analytics and metrics to track success.
- Ensures projects are completed with high quality and on schedule.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications preferred, and 4-5 years related experience as a communications manager.
- Solid understanding/background in Journalism, Public Relations, Editorial, Publications, Media Relations, Events, Social Media, and/or Campaigns.
- 4-5 years experience in compelling, written, oral, and visual storytelling. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to different voices and audiences.
- Ability to effectively synthesize, translate, and summarize complex policy topics for use by internal and external stakeholders.
- Full understanding of, and experience with, using social media tools and approaches as part of communications strategies.
- Familiarity with supporting multiple departments.
- Familiarity with working in a small, dynamic team environment.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent time management, organizational and attention to detail skills.
- Proactivity and self-direction
- Highly adaptable; ability to work well under pressure, within fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Proficiency across Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and GoogleSuite. Adobe Creative Cloud applications a plus, and ability to learn new technology as needed.
- Interpersonal skills; Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
Please include portfolio samples or provide a link.
Salary commensurate with experience. Range $60-$80K. Includes benefits (Health Insurance, Retirement
Plan, Life Insurance, Commuter Stipend, Flexible Spending Account).
EXPECTATION FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Supports the association's mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, commitment to our membership community, accountability, and ownership.