IOWA SELECT FARMS JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
LAST REVISION DATE: 7/25/2023
We believe in doing the right thing every day, operating with character and integrity, and being stewards of our resource by committing to:
o Our Animals
o Our People
o Our Environment
o Our Community
The core values of an organization are those values we hold which form the foundation on which we perform work and conduct ourselves. We expect all leaders, managers, and employees to demonstrate, foster and promote:
o Respect: We treat people with respect regardless of personal opinions or differing backgrounds, and no one within the organization is more or less important than anyone else
o Accountability: We hold ourselves accountable for completing our job responsibilities and following through on our commitments. We encompass our ability to recognize our own strengths and areas for improvement as well as accept responsibility for the performance and actions of ourselves and our teams without blaming others
o Good Decision-Making: We are expected to continuously improve processes, attain results, and create efficiencies to achieve our mission while solving problems based on a combination of factual information, analysis, wisdom, and experience
o Flexibility: We must react to changing circumstances, ambiguity and uncertainty with confidence, openness, positive energy, and optimism.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
As a Communications Manager for Iowa Select Farms, you will use various communication media to develop, execute, and measure business-related information with employees, contractors and stakeholders.
The Communications Manager position will be involved in and provide support to all communications programs and efforts, including employee events and recognition programs, employee engagement programs, public affairs/issues management, internal communications, corporate communications, sustainability reporting and programs of the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation.
This position will be required to create and execute communication plans using a variety of media such as content marketing, feature writing, event management and deployment of messages in print, video, social and various content marketing platforms.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The communications manager will build and drive strategies to increase employee engagement, including, but not limited to organizing and managing company meetings and social events, creating and executing communications and content marketing initiatives in support of specific business goals
- The communications manager will be accountable for company awards programs-SelectPride, SelectPride Partner, SelectCare Excellence and Years of Service
- The communication manager will be responsible for capturing and writing features on employees, farm/department teams, contractors and stakeholders
- Assist with the development and implementation of all company materials (advertising, literature, year-end report, promotions, events, public relations, website and online engagement).
- Coordinate web page maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, photos and videos) is posted regularly on company website
- Oversee company clothing store and coupon distribution with third party vendor
- Adhere to Iowa Select Farms bio-security policy at all times which includes reporting any violations or concerns to management team
- Compliance with Iowa Select Farms safety policies and procedures which includes continuous education to maintain a safe work environment
- Follow Iowa Select Farms animal wellbeing policy at all times and partner with the Production Well-being team in a timely manner if an incident occurs
- Strong personal initiative, accountability, problem-solving skills, creativity and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Candidate must have strong customer service skills, the ability to articulate well and communicate issues to a variety of audiences.
- Must be detail-oriented and have a high degree of accuracy, quality control and thoroughness.
- Must able to manage timelines, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in partnerships involving a wide variety of stakeholders and organizations.
- The environment of this position will change daily pending weekly schedule and will have work that is performed both indoors and outdoors.
- Need to be able to work in any environment within Iowa Select Farms
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, cameras, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear.
- The employee must have the ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
- The employee must be able to continuously repeat necessary movements such as bending, lifting and different hand movements as needed to complete tasks.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include reading, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- This is a full-time position that will typically require at least 40 hours a week.
- Must be available for weekend and evening work, when necessary.
- Approximately 30 percent in-state travel will be required for this position through the utilization of a company vehicle.
No direct supervisory responsibilities for this position.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- BA or BS degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing or related degrees, experience and/or background in agriculture preferred
- At least three years of work experience in public relations or communications.
- Candidate must have proven writing, content marketing and photography skills
- Candidate must have strong networking and relationship-building skills.
- Candidate must have experience and be fluent in social media management, including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
- Must have fluency in Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience in content management and SMS system a plus (Constant Contact)
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or changed at any time with or without notice.