Scholastic Book Fairs is looking for a committed CDL A driver to shuttle fairs between branch locations and also for deliveries and pickups of books and supplies that help children become lifelong learners. Scholastic Book Fairs Drivers return home same day and will travel in city, suburbs, and rural areas. The pickup and delivery requires the loading and unloading of company trucks at both Branch and Schools, utilizing all safety procedures during this process. Our drivers obtain their daily manifests and inspect their trucks and equipment prior to leaving the Branch.
These full time positions offer a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision benefits, vacation time, paid sick time, personal days, 50% employee discount, 401k w/ company match, and the possibility of summers off.
All drivers will be given proper equipment including uniforms and shoes and must maintain a professional appearance. Scholastic Book Fairs Drivers adhere to all Company, local, state, and federal rules/regulations inclusive of, but not limited to, DOT, OSHA, etc. Scholastic Book Fairs takes pride in being a drug and alcohol free Company. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with supervisor to deliver and pick-up fairs in an efficient, cost effective manner.
- Inspect and prepare fifth wheel before coupling.
- Utilize Semi Tractor with either single or tandem axle, manual or automatic transmission, combined with a 48' or 53' trailer to line haul fairs from branch facility to hub location.
- Deliver fairs using a Semi Tractor with either single or tandem axle, manual or automatic transmission, combined with a pup trailer.
- Couple and uncouple trailers safely and in a timely manner. Connect/disconnect air and brake lines, and properly operate landing gear.
- Work closely with supervisor to ensure customer service standards are maintained.
- Load and unload trucks with or without assistance of mechanical devices.
- Effectively communicate routing problems to supervisor so changes can be communicated to the routing team (road construction, address changes, steps, etc).
- Deliver and pick-up product from schools, as scheduled in a courteous and professional manner.
- Secure and transport products in order to enable customer to receive a "Damage Free" fair.
- Perform a daily pre-trip and post-trip inspection of motor vehicle to which assigned. Notify supervisor of any defects or problems.
- Complete and maintain accurate and legible records in a timely manner to include, but not limited to, DOT Logs, trip sheets, fuel tickets, road expenses, and other paperwork, as required.
- Adhere to all Company, local, state, and federal rules/regulations inclusive of, but not limited to, DOT, OSHA, etc.
- Assist in completing warehouse tasks as required by the supervisor.
- Overnight routes as necessary.
- Must maintain professional appearance including well-groomed hair, clean uniform, and hygienic habits.
- Attend monthly driver meetings - completing all continuous training materials as required.
- Complete annual Certificate of Violation Process timely, accurately and honestly.
- Utilize proper techniques for lifting, packing, and handling heavy objects, climbing ladders and pushing/pulling display cases.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe work environment.
- Maintain truck per company standards.
- Regular attendance in accordance with schedule.
- Drug and alcohol free policy compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate preferred.
- Verifiable commercial driving experience of at least one (1) year required.
- Minimum of twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Possess valid CDL A license with air brake endorsement.
- CDL A must be validated through recertification with an approved Driving School
- Must pass a drug screen/alcohol screen, Motor Vehicle Record review, criminal background review, and a DOT physical examination indicating physical essential functions of job can be performed as required.
- Must be able to drive vehicle weighing in excess of 26,001 GVW and trailers in excess of 10,000 lbs. with a total combined GVW up to 80,000 lbs.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 70 lbs. and push, pull, lift and handle metal/plastic cases weighing more than 350lbs on a regular and repetitive basis. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer service orientated.
- Must be able to read road maps and follow directions.
- Ability to work over time and weekends as needed.
- Strong team player and the ability to get along with co-workers.
- Good verbal/written communication skills, basic math skills, and ability to read.
Important Please fill out the below information to be re-directed to the full application