Summary: Ensures the efficient and orderly registration of patients by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Greets patients arriving for treatment in a friendly & helpful manner, promoting a positive image for the hospital.
2. Makes appointments and schedules tests with other departments and/or facilities.
3. Briefly explains registration procedures, and if relevant, explains hospital policies regarding visitation, parking, valuables deposits and personal items to patients registering. Answers any questions the patient or family might have.
4. Directs visitors, salesmen, physicians, and patients to proper location.
5. Makes a decision as to the priority of registration depending on the location the registrar is working. (ED first, Direct Admits or OBS second, Outpatient Surgery, scheduled testing/appointments, Clinic appointments, then walk-ins).
6. Advanced Beneficiary Notice for all Medicare-Outpatient services. Utilizes ABN software to determine if ordered procedure/test will be covered by Medicare, based on HCFA/CMS guidelines. Obtains patient's signatures on ABN, if appropriate. Calls family physician during office hours as customer service to the patient.
7. Registers all patients, gathering necessary patient information including nature of illness/injury, emergency notification numbers, employer information and insurance information. Inputs the information into the computer system and scans copies of medical insurance cards.
8. Obtains necessary and appropriate signature of consent for treatment.(Complete the questions that apply to the service type). Notify Patient Services if patient requests additional information on Advanced Directives.
9. Make/take telephone consent for treatment of minors and APSI Patients.
10. Make necessary phone calls to Physicians' office to complete outpatient orders.
11. Provides a HIPAA privacy brochure and obtains the appropriate signature.
12. Gathers Advance Directive information (living will, durable power of attorney, DNR). Joint Commission requirement.
13. Initiates financial aid application for self pay patients.
14. Wristband all registered patients as required by Joint Commission, patient safety standard. (MSC is the exception. Wrist bands are not required unless OP testing is involved.)
15. Distributes and instructs patient/guarantor on various forms and paperwork necessary for the type of visit. For admission, gives the patient advanced directives booklet, and Patient Rights. Arranges for escort of patients to their rooms.
16. Routes numerous forms to appropriate departments and routes registration and insurance forms to other provider's files.
17. Implements pre-registration of scheduled tests and outpatient surgeries.
18. Completes BWC FROI to initiate the payment or claim. Notifies employer of injury and faxes FROI and medical information to MCO. In house, notify HR and/or Employee Health when appropriate.
19. Answers telephone, receives messages, and ensures they are routed to the appropriate person.
20. Performs switchboard operator duties as requested.
21. Night shift assumes responsibilities for producing accurate daily census reports, and distributing to designated personnel/departments.
22. Discharges ED charts, and tears down process for Health Information Management (if appropriate, to physicians' mailboxes).
23. Assists Emergency Department in ordering appropriate supplies, phone calls, Med Flight transportation, and copying patient charts for transfer.
24. Ability to schedule/register appointments in multiple computer systems.
25. Verifies insurance for all patients registered.
26. Collects co-pay for all types of insurances & Medicaid.
27. Processes patient co-pay payments and maintains and properly balances the cash drawer.
28. Scan insurance cards, consent forms, Living Will, DPOA, DNR and Physicians' orders account specific.
29. Completes MSP (Medicare Secondary Payer) for Patient Accounts department.
30. Generates all demographics and third party payer information and documentation to provide a seamless, accurate, and compliant patient record and billing process.
31. Performs bedside registration as needed.
32. Complies with all state and federal regulations.
33. Assists in other areas within the department as needed.
34. Participates in staff meetings, educational programs, committees, and in-services.
35. Must be able to flex schedule to assist in 24-hour coverage.
36. Any other duties assigned by management as change occur within the department.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Decision Making/Judgment - Demonstrates the ability to secure and evaluate facts in making decisions and taking action and makes decisions in a timely manner; Makes good decisions when faced with new situations or incomplete information; Is able to effectively prioritize tasks; Approaches problems, challenges and new situations in an organized manner; Demonstrates flexibility and creativity in finding workable solutions and avoids recurring problems.
Communication/Interpersonal Skills - Demonstrates the organization's cardinal value; to honor the dignity and worth of each individual; Relates to others in an honest, straightforward fashion and is professional verbally and non-verbally; Resolves conflict in a positive manner; Actively listens with a sincere attempt to understand and values different points of view; Respects the confidentiality of patient and employee information.
Teamwork - Contributes to a climate where employees want to do their best and work together as a team; Accepts responsibility for establishing and maintaining a healthy relationship with every member of the staff; Assists co-workers as needed; Displays a positive, cooperative team attitude and recognizes the achievement of others.
Change Management - Is open to change and makes suggestions for change; Maintains a positive attitude regarding change.
Customer Service - Treats patients and co-workers with respect and professionalism; Assists others in the department and throughout the hospital; Takes initiative in working to solve customer complaints; Displays a 'can do' attitude.
Stewardship - Demonstrates a commitment to cost effectiveness and sound business practices; Conserves resources whenever appropriate.
Initiative - Recognizes and follows through with duties that need to be performed; Seeks out new assignments and assumes additional duties; Makes suggestions for improving procedures; Commits time and effort to hospital committees and community service; Participates in department in-service programs and takes responsibility for personal and professional growth.
Dependability/Reliability - Reports to work in a regular and timely manner and is willing to make schedule adjustments related to changes in workload activity; Accepts delegation responsibly and can be relied upon to perform duties and complete assignments independently and in a reasonable time frame; Observes appropriate work breaks and meal periods; Attends mandatory meetings and in-services; Demonstrates commitment and responsibility.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school education or equivalent required; one year of hospital registration experience preferred. Basic coding and typing (35-45 wpm) required and knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills required.
Contingent Shifts Vary
Coverage need within the department including evenings and weekends