RN - PRE-OP/PACU (REQ 3290) INTERNAL
SURGICAL SERVICES Homer , AK Nursing Part Time , Days , Days Req # 3290
To provide direct patient care to pediatric through geriatric patient populations, in the perioperative setting as a valued team member and patient advocate. Perioperative duties include, but are not limited to, scheduling surgeries, preoperative teaching to patient and family, outpatient and postoperative assessments. Intra-operative duties to include assistance during IV sedation procedures, i.e.: endoscopies. Postoperative care includes assessments and anesthesia/surgical recovery and assistance.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Perioperative/PACU/Pre-op Registered Nurse will be trained in the scheduling of surgeries, pre and postoperative assessments and anesthesia/surgical recovery, starting IV's, order entry, charting, IV sedation, communication with other staff members, MD's and Anesthesia. He/she will be trained to assist in admission and discharge of patients, as well as assist in the day to day coverage throughout the surgical suite as indicated by the department manager. He/she will be able to take Pre-op/PACU call as needed and will report to the Surgical Services Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- The Perioperative/PACU RN needs a working knowledge of anesthesia medications and antagonists with the understanding and ability to skillfully administer pain control medications and be able to titrate doses to outcomes.
- They must maintain ACLS certification, must be committed to patient safety and possess keen observation and assessment skills.
- ICU, PACU and/or Operating Room experience is highly useful and recommended.
- Must be a licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Alaska.
- Two years of acute care nursing experience is preferred.
- The RN must be able to deal effectively and quickly in highly emergent situations, as well as maintain composure in dealing with all clientele involved in the Perioperative/Pre-op/PACU arena.
- They must be able to teach, start IV's and demonstrate effective people skills.
- He/she will embrace, support and adopt evidence-based care standards and continuing education that ensures quality improvements and patient safety regulatory requirements for best practices and licensure.
- Accesses and reads practice policies.
South Peninsula Hospital's Surgery Department is located on the second floor of the facility. The working environment is often complicated by patient problems, family members' concerns, physician needs and critical emergency situations. The position requires the ability to manage the physical and medical needs of patients in all levels of consciousness, and includes the full spectrum of pediatric to geriatric age groups. Surgeon and Anesthesiologist requirements are complex and attention to detail is critical. The Perioperative/Pre-op/PACU RN must be able to remain composed and alert while providing a safe environment for and meeting the needs of his or her patients quickly and effectively. They must enjoy the patient - family - health care provider encounter situation and be able to deal with the presenting issues diplomatically and efficiently. They must demonstrate effective organizational skills.
Work, play, and live in beautiful Homer, Alaska, on stunning Kachemak Bay! Wonderful quality of life in Homer friendly people, quality public schools, comprehensive health and wellness care, a vibrant art community, amazing restaurants and world class recreational opportunities hiking, fishing (salmon, halibut and more!), kayaking, boating, sightseeing and much more!
South Peninsula Hospital (SPH) is the healthcare provider of choice, with a dynamic and dedicated team committed to service excellence. SPH has been three times named a Top 100 Critical Access Hospital out of more than 1,300 critical access hospitals nationwide, based on the iVantage Health Analytic's Hospital Strength survey.
SPH, located in the heart of Homer, Alaska, is a 22-bed Acute Care, 9-bed Emergency Department, 3 room Labor and Delivery, critical access hospital with an attached 28-bed Long Term Care facility. Our staff of over 500 uses state-of-the art technology and equipment to provide services to our rural community of over 15,000 residents. Homer is located on the Kenai Peninsula, and about a four hour drive to Anchorage.
We offer excellent benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance, $2,000 annual Health Reimbursement Account, 403b retirement plan, $500 annual Health & Wellness reimbursement, generous paid time off/vacation time, student loan assistance, tuition reimbursement, and a relocation bonus!
Apply today at . If you have any questions, please call our Human Resources Department at or email .