We are looking for a passionate and experienced text editor to join our team and play a major role in the growth of SurvivorNet, the leading platform in the country for information about cancer.
You should love editing and assigning large volumes of thoughtful text pieces, comprising both daily content and news pieces. You should be extremely interested in empowering people with information to make better decisions about cancer. If you have a real desire to tell stories that provide hope and public service you could be a great fit.
Experience in health and medical content is also desirable, though not an absolute requirement.
You should have 10-years work experience as an editor for this role.
SurvivorNet is a well-funded start-up founded by media executives who have run national platforms at ABC, CNN, and Fox and health care entrepreneurs who have led some of the most exciting advances in cancer treatment.
The editor will work on day-to-day execution of our text content and news operation. The ideal candidate for this job is driven by the desire to tell stories and create factual content that speaks to millions of people with integrity, accessibility, clarity, and occasional levity. The Senior Editor should have exceptional journalistic and intellectual rigor as a baseline.
As this is a digital company, a deep understanding of how to evaluate and develop audience is needed. Interest in health is important, direct experience working in this area is not essential.
The ideal candidate has a "get it done" outlook. This is a 100% hands-on, do what's needed, roll-up your sleeves start-up environment. We place a high value on creativity, meticulousness, high energy, and the ability to solve problems and invent solutions. In return, you'll get to be a key leader of a very exciting new company that's going to have a big impact. We care about hiring and retaining key talent and are structuring great incentives for our key hires.
- Build, in conjunction with the leadership team, a dynamic, professional, nimble and integrated multimedia (text, video, photos, data visualization and infographics) content publishing operation:
- Creation: voice; tone; ideation; assignment; planning; producing/editing
- Packaging: UX/UI; SEO; imagery; headline and display copy writing
- Distribution: audience development; social media; newsletters; syndication; thought leadership
- Analytics: audience behavior; benchmarking staff and audience metrics, and development
- Rapidly scale audience and engagement on the website, social media channels and partner platforms
- Deploy and utilize analytics across the operation to understand and benchmark content consumption, user behavior, and staff performance and priorities
- Develop editorial workflows, process and procedures
- In partnership with the Production and Technology Directors, craft and maintain budgets, manage staffing schedules, negotiate contracts
- Shape and nurture talent, helping them develop their voices and roles
- Create a culture of transparency, collaboration and accountability
- Significant experience with, or a very a strong interest in wellness or health content
- Proven success in growing audience numbers and increasing audience engagement - across multiple platforms
- A deep understanding of data and analytics as used on the web, mobile and key social platforms: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Fluency in the key differences for programming and community management for specific social platforms
- Fluency in digital production: Experience in operating a CMS to nimbly and creatively build content packages; a thorough understanding of SEO; and proficiency in building product, UI and UX
- Ability to work on deadline
- Ability to deliver against a defined set of metrics and key performance indicators (KPI), on deadline and under budget
- Ability to work collaboratively, in an open, friendly manner. Must be organized, detail-oriented and resourceful; stellar interpersonal and problem-solving skills required
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor's Degree and 10 years experience in content production, with at least 5 years as a senior leader at a digital operation